Friday, February 1, 2008

My other blood tests....


I got the results of my other blood tests today, my regular diabetes / metabolic syndrome test. As I expected, they were worse, with one exception. For some reason my triglycerides dropped, which makes no sense at all.

My Vitamin D level is still unmeasurably low. Dr. Smith prescribed a liquid prescription supplement. My pharmacy didn't have any, and couldn't find any locally; they have to order it. Apparently no one else in Arizona is so low on Vit. D that they need a liquid supplement.

On the bright side, I took her photo. It came out pretty well on first try.

And we compromised. I need to have my bone density checked again, after discovering 18 months ago that I have osteopenia, but only in my hips, not my spine. I agreed to have a mammogram, but only one.

There is a large body of peer-reviewed research, from around the world, that suggests that mammograms do not increase life expectancy and may, in fact, be harmful. I gave them up maybe ten years ago, but this doctor has never been happy with that decision. She seems especially concerned now that I have leukemia.

So we compromised. I agreed to have one, now, without agreeing to routine checks in the future.

No comments: