Thursday, February 21, 2008

Genghis Grill


My sister and I discovered a new restaurant during her visit last week.

Genghis Grill is a Mongolian Grill/BBQ. Now, that's nothing new. I've been eating at Mongolian BBQs for decades. This one had some new twists:

. the decor is upscale casual. Well, as upscale as you can be in the ring of restaurants outside a multi-plex theater.
. there are actually pieces of the protein options, not shavings. Big chunks.
. they offer white, brown or fried rice, udon noodles, spiral pasta and tortillas. You can choose more than one.
. the sauce choices include barbecue.
. they offer sour cream and cheddar cheese with each order. What?!

The sour cream and cheese go with the tortillas. If you combine tortillas and grilled peppers and onions with beef or chicken you get fajitas. Or burritos.

There were many "super veggies" to choose from: broccoli, spinach, and some lovely sugar snap peas. There were the usual carrots, celery, onion and pineapple, but also fresh green beans, a bell pepper mix and more. There were raw eggs, for scrambling into your fried rice.

A note to veg'ns: while there are many, many suitable food choices, it's all cooked on one grill.

The end result is a place where everyone can eat, unless someone can't live without potatoes. Heavy on the meat? covered. Vegan? covered, other than the common grill. Low carb? covered. Whole foods? covered.

The price is $7.99 for one trip or $11.99 for a bottom-less bowl. The single trip seems a little high, since they don't offer soup or salad, and you don't serve your own starch, but the all-you-care-to eat option is in line with other buffets. The Future Warrior (child's) portion is $3.99.(?)They offer ooey, gooey, big enough to share desserts for an additional charge.

In Tempe Genghis Grill is located near the theater at Tempe Marketplace, Rio Salado & McClintock.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am vegetarian, and i have eaten here a few times...I have to tell the grill master that i'm vegetarian. My soulmate has seafood allergies and he tells them hes allergic. So far we have had no problems...

They scrape off the grill and use clean cooking sticks just like the carnivores, but they also water the grill and re-oil it and they use divider sticks as well, so nothing crosses over. Sometimes they use a lid cover also, other times they don't, kinda weird. I think it has to do with steaming the vegetables, but if you have tofu they don't...but i'm not for sure.

At any rate, dining out veggie style can be scary because you don't know what goes on in the back kitchen. This place I will eat at more often, cause I can actually see my meal being cooked.

Anonymous said...

I've eaten at this place many times and I just wanted to make some comments about her blog. The eggs are scrambled and cut into pieces and can be put into your bowl even if you don't get fried rice. And they do carry potatoes cut into nice cubes, and they have more than just the barbecue sauce. I think they have like 10 or so, but they're all good except the schezuan which i didn't care for.

AzLady2 said...

Thank you for the additional information!

I've eaten there only twice, so I'm not as familiar with the offerings as I might be.

I mentioned the barbecue sauce in particular because I don't recall seeing it at a Mongolian BBQ before. They do have quite a selection of sauces, including a citrus ginger that I use quite a bit of.

Now that you mention it, I do recall seeing potato cubes, but they might not satisfy a dyed in the wool meat and potatoes fan.