Tuesday, July 29, 2008

How do you spell "Home?"

Many years ago an advertisement asked, "How do you spell relief?" The manufacturer wanted the public to associate their product with relief from digestive distress.

I am enjoying relief from another kind of distress. I am finally sitting in front of my computer desk, with my laptop connected to (almost) all of its peripherals. (I have to reboot to pick up the last one.)

The remodel is done, the recovery is not. Aside from fighting fatigue and a sinus infection that got totally out of control, I have to start over in my kitchen. The new cabinets have a different layout from the old; I lost four drawers and about 40% of my shelf space.

But I'm back at my computer. Ahhh!

It may not be obvious why this is a big deal. After all, I do use a laptop.

I also use a port replicator, aka docking station. I have been unable to use my card reader (for photos of the work in progress), my scanner, my printer or my external hard drive. For much of the time I didn't have Internet access. I have had to use the built-in keyboard and touchpad, instead of a standard keyboard and my lovely five-button mouse. I also have been working perched on a wooden bar stool, instead of my ergonomic task chair.

The relief is significant.

No comments: