Wednesday, August 20, 2008

What is the expected life of a recliner, anyway?

Twelve years ago, shortly after moving into an apartment in the Biltmore area of Phoenix, I went to a thrift store looking for a filing cabinet. I didn't find one, but I did find a recliner, for $13. I called a friend, who called her brother, who picked it up for me. His good deed did not go unrewarded; on the way home he found a torchiere lamp discarded on the side of the road, which he took home and put to use.

Fast forward eight years. My recliner began sticking when I tried to change the position. Then I discovered that a bolt had dropped out. I turned the chair over and searched until I found a likely hole, and replaced the bolt. I could not make it stay in place. I knew that whenever I moved it, and sometimes when I didn't, I would need to turn the chair over again and fix it.

Just before leaving for New York last month I had a sinking feeling. Literally. I suspected that more than the original bolt was in trouble, but didn't have the time or energy to explore. Today I did.

A different bolt had fallen out, and the frame member that's supposed to hold it is split, too.

While I was looking for an empty hole I saw a stock tag, dated 6/23/70. I was still in high school.

What is the expected life of a recliner, anyway?

No comments: