Wednesday, November 28, 2007

No! No! No home makeover!!!

My apartment manager probably didn't expect the notice to send me kicking and screaming...after all, they announced that they are replacing my kitchen and bathroom cabinets, countertops and faucets, kitchen appliances and sink, light fixtures, ceiling fans, electrical outlet and switch covers and door hardware.

I should be thrilled, right? Wrong!

Some of you already know where this is going. The rest of you didn't grow up with Depression-era parents.

For them to replace all cabinets, appliances, sinks, ceiling fixtures and outlet covers my stuff can't be in the kitchen or either bathroom, in the middle of the floors or near the walls. I can't have any more food in the refrigerator than will fit in a cooler while they work.

I use one of the bathrooms as a walk-in closet.

I have heavy furniture in front of six of the electrical outlets. When I moved in I immediately plugged in extension cords and ran them to either side.

The work in each apartment will be completed in less than 48 hours, unless additional "painting or flooring repairs" are required. Work in the complex starts in January; they'll let us know the dates for the individual apartments when it's closer to the time.

The notice offers, "Should you have any questions or concerns please feel free to contact us...." I don't think they want to hear what I think of their plan.

No comments: