Friday, November 9, 2007

Wow! (mp3 player)

I just received the mp3 player I ordered last week. Wow!

The sound quality is outstanding. It's in stereo. (Which I expected, but didn't have before with my CD player.)

The pros: small, lightweight, excellent sound quality, earphones that I can use. (Almost a first.)

The cons: no manual, no CD. The controls are going to drive me nuts.

I knew that I was buying a refurbished product, but I expected something that would tell me what to do with it! I was able to load and play the (only) song that I've purchased online, Nightshift by the Commodores. I searched for and starting reading a manual online. I experimented with loading the scriptures. I successfully loaded 1 Nephi from the free version offered by LDS Audio. I think it's read by a computer with voice synthesis software, however, and greatly prefer the recording I purchased from the distribution center. Those are much larger files. I think that I have software to convert them to mp3 files, but I don't feel like messing with it tonight.

I read many reviews before I decided to purchase this. I knew that controls/menu structure got a lot of complaints. The comments regarding playback quality, capacity and durability were very good, however, and I decided that, for the price, I could learn to live with the controls. I'm sure it will be fine once I learn them. The manual would have helped. Oh, well.

I haven't played with the memory card yet. I've had it for several days. It's still sealed in plastic, however, and I don't feel like going to get the scissors. I'm fine listening to what I've already loaded.

1 comment:

~*~Dani~*~ said...

Did you know that the church offers a ton of stuff in mp3 files which can be downloaded, including the scriptures, articles, church movie music, hymns, and primary songs?
Here is the link:
http://lds.org/mp3/newarchive/0,18615,5249-1,00.html

Also, there are some free Seminary Scripture Mastery Songs by the Sons of Ammon for free at:
http://lds.about.com/od/seminary/a/scripture_songs_5.htm
a few other songs are at that same site.

I am sure there are many other sources of great uplifting FREE mp3 downloads - those are just two of them.

Congrats on the mp3 player and on figuring it out!

{{BIG SOFT HUGS}}

~Dani