Thursday, June 5, 2008

Mobile computing, at last!

I'm writing this while sitting in a boarding area at BWI. Sort of.... I can write, but I can't post. I'm using WordPad.

I'm so disappointed. I thought this would be my first experience using wi-fi someplace other than my sister's home. I have a three hour layover. I have my laptop. I have my Wi-Fi card. I found a "Free Public Wi-Fi" network.

I'm showing a strong connection to the network, but my browser can't find any sites. Oh, well....

I'm on my way back to Phoenix from my sister's home on Long Island, New York.

We had a good visit. I'm very glad that I stayed the extra week. We got more done, and had dinner with my nephew last night, and I was able to set up some Creative Memories appointments for my next trip.

I have to keep reminding myself that we did, in fact, get a lot done. Visually, there isn't much change. I guess you could say that we focused on infrastructure work this trip.

We straightened out my sister's account with her cable Internet provider. We set up her wi-fi router and connected all of her (and my) computers. That allowed her to dump AOL as her ISP.

We installed her new scanner and she began getting familiar with PaperPort, the document management software that came with it.

I installed Creative Memories Memory Manager and Storybook Creator Plus software on my sister's new computer, and she loaded her photos from her memory cards, backups and other computer. All 3000+ of them!

I cleaned the screens in her faucets and shower, which previously had marginally useful water pressure.

I replaced light bulbs. Lots of light bulbs! I'm about 4" taller than my sister. It makes a difference. We bought two floor lamps for her office; I assembled one of them.

I cleaned out and swept about half of her garage. We dumped lots of trash and recycling.

We briefly saw Fire Island and Smith Point Park while renewing my nephew's fishing license. We intended to return, and to visit the Flight 700 International Memorial, but the next weekend was Memorial Day -- not the time to go the beach, if you can avoid it -- and then we had some rainy weather.

I wanted to take some "then and now" photos to make a digital album about Long Island. Early in my visit I noted some potential sites as we ran errands. We never got back to shoot the photos. The last half of my visit we had several rainy and cloudy days, and I had a few days that I needed to rest.

No comments: