Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Tying up loose ends...

Just thought I'd follow up on a few recent posts.

Housing:
Ouch! I received my lease renewal letter this week. The rent is going up $60, and that's for a full year. If I renew for six months, as I plan, the rent will be even higher.

For a very brief moment I started scrambling. I'm packing anyway for the remodel on the 17th; how much more would it take...? I stopped myself. When I posted last time I felt that I had identified the correct course of action: to renew for six months, then move. I did not know how large the increase would be, but Heavenly Father did.


My toe:
I received the results of the x-rays today: my toe is broken. I can expect a few more weeks of discomfort if I follow my doctor's instructions. Fortunately, while I was in New York I did exactly what she would have told me to do, if I had seen her when it happened.

Unfortunately, I can't stand having it buddy-taped, and I've been doing more the last few days. Predictably, it hurts more. My doctor recommended Birkenstocks; I may look for a cheap clone at Wal-Mart.


My lab work:
I also received the results of the blood tests I requested, and was pleasantly surprised. The first two weeks that I was in New York the lymph nodes in my neck acted like popcorn. I went from one swollen node on the right side to a whole strand on the right and a few on the left. I thought my numbers would be way up; that's why I requested the lab work.

Instead, my numbers are about 10% lower than they were in April! I'm not questioning it....


Wi-Fi in BWI:
It's probabably a good thing I was unable to connect to the Internet in Baltimore. "Free Public Wi-Fi" is a so-called viral network, not a legitimate provider.

I should have known better. During my layover at Midway (Chicago) there were big banner ads every 10 yards or so announcing that the transit authority offered free wi-fi in the terminals. I looked for a similar sign in Baltimore; their absence should have tipped me off.

I checked BWI's web site. Boingo is the authorized provider. You can subscribe for unlimited service or pay for 24 hour windows of service on the fly. I may establish an account just to have it available in the future.

I very much prefer changing at Baltimore on the way to Long Island. I leave Phoenix at 6:00 a.m. and have five hours to sleep. After a short hop to LI I arrive rested and ready to visit.


VCR mishaps:
I'm running 0 for 2 on the VCR programming. I sat down to watch the NCIS season finale last night. I missed taping the first hour of that, too.


Fan:
Yeah!!! My fan is fixed. Thanks, Connie!


Stay tuned....

1 comment:

AzLady2 said...

A reminder... As I announced when I began this blog, I will publish comments from people I know; all others will be read but kept private.