Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Any more good news?

Sorry. I'm tired, I can't sleep, I'm cranky and more than usually sarcastic.

While searching unsuccessfully for something that I need today I found the installation CDs for my scanner and laser printer. This was really exciting, because my ongoing infrastructure problems are a major source of stress, and they are really hampering my efforts to put my life and my home in order.

I eagerly sat down to install the printer to the new computer, and learned why I was unable to install it using the drivers I downloaded from the Internet. It won't run under Windows XP.

Ok. I have an eight year old computer that is thoroughly corrupted but might talk to my laser printer if I reinstall it. It talks to the Internet, but won't run Java or my security software. I have a new computer that talks to the internet, but not to my printer. I have a wi-fi card, which gives me a blazingly fast connection, but only at the airport, and installing the router is what corrupted the old computer.

And since installing my new six-button mouse on the new computer the touchpad has become manic. It skitters all over the window and clicks on things I don't want.

Also during the search I thoroughly broke the lamp that had only been sort of broken. I now have pieces of the shade and a CFL bulb scattered around the office.

And the cookbook, which must be uploaded before I can go out this evening, isn't even close to being done.

And I never did find what I was looking for.

This, too, shall pass.

No comments: