Friday, February 6, 2009

Meals on Wheels -- Wow!

I found out Wednesday that my insurance company offers "10 frozen Meals on Wheels" after each hospitalization. I decided to try them to see whether there was any way I could work them around my allergies and other medical restrictions. They were delivered today.

"Ten frozen meals" does not do them justice. At all.

Each meal includes a frozen entree with veggies, juice, bread or roll and snack. The juice is all 100%, not corn syrup. The bread and rolls are dairy-free. There was an insert with serving suggestions and full ingredient / nutrition info. That will also help me figure out what some of the little cups are.

There were instant coffee and margarine servings, that would be appreciated by others.

Will all the meals work for me? No. The cheese omelet entree is completely off limits, and I'll have to discard the "sour cream and chive" potatoes and "loaded potato."

But most of the food will work. It's easy to prepare, easy to clean up, individual servings, varied...and FREE. It's been prepared in a commercial kitchen, and the produce is all cooked, so I can eat it when I'm on a neutropenic diet.

This is huge, just huge. Each time I stay in the hospital overnight I can request a box of ten meals. I cannot express my gratitude and relief.

Update: I ate one of the meals last night, to try them. There won't be a black market for these; I'd rank them a little below a Banquet frozen dinner. They contain all sorts of fractionated food components that I usually avoid like the plague, e.g., soy protein isolate. Many of them contain sodium caseinate, which is a dairy product, but in very small quantities.

That does not change the fact that I am grateful for them and am relieved to know they are available after future rounds of chemo. They are easy to prepare, easy to clean up, single servings and free.

1 comment:

H said...

I'm glad they will work for you for the most part. What a super blessing to have!