Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Winter takes me by surprise, again.

I've been in Arizona more than 14 years, and my gut-level expectations about the weather still haven't changed.

Last month I whined -- as I do every fall -- about having grey skies and early sunsets when the temperature is 80F. It just doesn't seem right.

Today the sun is strong, the sky is clear...and it's 47F. At 11:00 a.m.!

I am philosophically opposed to using my furnace here. Most years I am able to avoid it. I did get my winter robe out yesterday, but it looked like winter. It had been grey and rainy for five days.

Today it's bright and sunny, and my (literally) cold feet took me by surprise. But the temperature at the thermostat is 69F, and on the south wall, where I'm sitting, it's only 66F. Those are the inside temperatures.

I need to go get some socks on.

No comments: