Wednesday, July 18, 2007

First visit with the hematologist / oncologist

I saw the hematologist / oncologist today for the first time. I really like her, and have complete confidence in her.

They drew blood as soon as I arrived. The white cell count is worse, but I'm no longer anemic.

Based on my lab work the doctor is confident that this really is leukemia, not a reaction to one of the medications I take. My primary care physician was actually relieved to hear that. That medication protects my eyes and lungs from self-destruction due to an auto-immune disorder.

As I anticipated, today's visit marked the beginning of more tests. In addition to the blood they drew today I have two tests scheduled next week. I'll see the doctor at the end of the following week to review the results and decide on a course of action.

Unless the tests reveal surprises, her recommendation at this time is "watchful waiting." I would have regular blood tests and office visits. We wouldn't start active treatment unless / until the blood tests get much worse, the lymph node involvement gets worse, or the symptoms become "troublesome" to me. I'm finding it inconvenient to need a nap every day, but chemo is pretty inconvenient, too.

The form of leukemia that I (probably) have, chronic lymphocytic leukemia, can be managed but not cured. People have lived with it for more than 30 years, however, so I'm not really worried. All in all, it was a very positive visit, and I'm feeling very optimistic.

No comments: