Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Watchful waiting is looking better and better

My sister reminded me yesterday that someone she knew chose to seek treatment in Eastern Europe when he learned he had cancer, "because they do not use chemo and kill the cells, they build up your immune system so it can fight off the cancer itself."

While talking with her about this I was reminded that I decided years ago that, should I ever face cancer, my first choice for treatment would be Cancer Treatment Centers of America, due to their commitment to integrative care.

Seeking medical treatment beyond what is available through my HMO is not an option right now, but that doesn't meant I can't benefit from a more comprehensive approach.

Most of the "treatment modalities" employed in an integrative approach to cancer are available without a prescription, and many of them are within my control at home. That is the foundation of my desire for a Spring, or healing, room, although I had not articulated the source when I began planning it.

My oncologist's decision to start with "watchful waiting" gives me an opportunity to build a program / lifestyle which supports wellness and my body's ability to fight the cancer itself. The more successful I am the longer we can delay chemo.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A Spring room? What a wonderful idea!