Sunday, March 30, 2008

The job...

When asking permission of two friends to list their names as references on the job application I'm preparing I included a description of the job and the way I see it fitting into my life. I'm very happy with the way it turned out, so I'm including it here.
------------------------------------------------------------------
I am applying to become an instructor for the Food for Life program of The Cancer Project. I have been taking this class at The Wellness Community in Phoenix. Each week, for eight weeks, participants watch a 10 minute video in which Dr. Neal Barnard shares the science of that week's topic. The instructor then answers questions about the material and talks about the foods he's going to prepare. The participants watch the instructor prepare a meal, then share it. How much each gets depends on the size of the class.

It is much easier to change something as fundamental as eating habits when you've had some experience. Seeing the food prepared, seeing that it can be quick and easy, seeing that vegan food is not all roots and twigs, and doesn't require exotic ingredients, does much to eliminate the psychological obstacles that hold many back from these changes. Actually sampling the food gives them a starting point for trying the recipes at home.

This program teaches the whole foods, plant-centered way of eating that I have been promoting for nearly fifteen years. It would give me credentials and credibility that I simply don't have right now. It would more than replace the income from the mystery shopping that I've given up. More importantly, it would permit me to more effectively share the lifestyle changes that I believe are the key to relieving the plague of chronic illness affecting our population.

It will be physically challenging for me, but I think I've worked that out. The course is typically offered for eight consecutive weeks. While I'm teaching I would do basically nothing else. I would have food in the freezer, ready to eat. I would have the laundry and the housework caught up before I started, and let them slide during the course. A customer has offered to "carry and clean" for me.

The Project asks that applicants commit to teach at least two courses per year. My initial goal is to teach one course per quarter, which would allow me to get caught up at home and serve my Creative Memories customers between courses. Eventually, as the process becomes routine and the recipes more familiar, I would consider teaching more than one class per week. My instructor currently teaches five or six classes each week; I would aim for two.

I believe my health challenges will actually increase my credibility with the patients. I can tell them, "I have spinal injuries, I have leukemia, I have fatigue. This is how I eat this way without a lot of work...." I can also explain that this way of eating has permitted me to manage my diabetes without medication for more than ten years.

My becoming an instructor would also make the program available to patients who are currently not served. There is only one instructor serving the three million people in the Phoenix area. He offers classes in the north and northeast suburbs. There has been a huge amount of growth in the south and east suburbs. For patients living in those areas, especially those more ill than I am, driving to the existing classes is just not an option.

The application is oriented to professionals with a medical or culinary background, but my instructor has encouraged me to apply. He can tell from my participation that I'm well read on nutrition, that I have extensive experience with this way of eating and with cooking, that I express myself well and that I interact with the other students well. He has agreed to provide a reference for me.

I have been retired for 11 years and have no background in the expected fields, so I'm at a loss for professional references. [Here I explained to each person what aspects of our relationship I feel support my application.]

Thank you!

No comments: