Saturday, August 11, 2007

Divine Intervention

At the oncologist's office today I picked up a brochure. I didn't have time to read it then; I stuffed it in my tote. I just finished reading it, and the organization's website:

the wellness community AZ

Wow! This is the local branch of a national non-profit organization that offers support and education to cancer patients and their loved ones, at no charge.

They offer classes in exactly the areas I want to include in my wellness program: mindfulness meditation, tai chi, relaxation, nutrition and cancer. I have the calendar for August and September; there are classes and lectures every week that I would love to attend.

My first thought was that I had to pick maybe one day a week to go. I try to avoid driving to Phoenix, and I need to both decrease my expenses and spend some energy increasing my income. I had to backtrack: even though I don't feel terrible, I have cancer. This -- lifestyle modification to strengthen my immune system -- is the only treatment we're using right now, and the better I am at it, the longer I can avoid chemo. Going to those classes is no different than going to any other treatment.

They are based in a home in a historic district in Phoenix. The center is open all day for patients, family and friends to drop in, like a community center.

And it's all free, supported by donations and corporate sponsors.

I am thrilled, grateful and humbled to have stumbled across this. I'm sure the brochures were not there during my visit three weeks ago. They were on a table next to the chair I used; I would have picked one up.

[8/16] Correction: I did not "stumble across this." I was led to this resource, and I am grateful.

No comments: