Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Well. THAT was fun. (Not!)

I really need some new shirts. Some woven, airy, cotton shirts, instead of the tee shirts I usually wear at home, or the poly blend knit tops I wear out.

As it happens, I have a pattern that I love. I last used it in 1988, however, and that shirt is worn to the point of indecency, so I decided to make some more. In my fabric stash I discovered several lengths of cotton fabric, that I may have bought for this purpose.

Cutting out fabric never seems as urgent as whatever else needs to be done at home, however, so it hasn't gotten done. The women's group at church quilts once a month, however, so I asked whether I could join them today specifically to cut out fabric.

Last night I knew that I would be better off sleeping in today. I got out the fabric and pattern, anyway. This morning I got up, late, still knowing that I would be better off at home. I washed instead of showering. (And my hair shows it.) I gathered the tools I needed from various places. (It's been at least ten years and three moves since I did any sewing.) I gathered my steam iron and some heavy towels to pad the table. I gathered bottled water. I loaded it all in the car. I left.

I knew by the absence of cars that no one was at the church, but I checked the building anyway. Locked doors, no lights, no people.

I could have just scheduled a time at home to cut out the shirts. I arranged to do it at church for two reasons. Working with the group gave me a specific deadline; I couldn't reschedule as I could an appointment with myself. More than that, I was looking forward to spending time with the other women. I wanted the social contact. I dropped in on the group earlier this year to donate some fabric and enjoyed visiting.

Last year I was criticized for spending my social time with my single friends, with other Creative Memories consultants and in community service, instead of within my own congregation.

I'm listening to Harry Chapin. Carole King is in the car.

No comments: