Monday, August 6, 2007

Starting out on the right foot

When I left my apartment today to pick up a furnace filter at the office I discovered two letters on my door. One informed me that partial rent payments are unacceptable, and that my (attempted) partial payment was being held for me at the office. The other was a notice of intent to terminate my rental agreement for non-payment.

I was not amused. I had already received some seriously disturbing news online, and I didn't need any more.

Last week I renewed my lease. The apartment manager offered me one-half off my August rent as a bonus. The leasing agent calculated the amount when I signed my lease on the first, and accepted my check on the third. Obviously, something fell through the cracks.

I was not the only tenant in the office to complain about the letters.

Apparently we're getting a new general manager. She won't actually take over for two weeks, but she's in the office starting today. She commented to the leasing agent that she was surprised by how many tenants had submitted partial payments. He knew immediately what had happened. Unfortunately, she had created and distributed the letters before mentioning it to anyone who could have enlightened her. She went to the bank and left him to clean up the mess.

The leasing agent said we'll really like her. I suggested that she did not get off to a good start.

No comments: