Friday, August 10, 2007

It's Working!

I saw my oncologist today. The lifestyle changes I'm making, in concert with the prayers of my friends, have already had a positive effect.

The final test result was back from my first visit. It confirmed the diagnosis of Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia, versus a drug reaction. That was what we expected, and is discussed in an older entry.

The CT scan report was back. There is extensive involvement of my lymph nodes, but to a minimal degree. Basically, everywhere they looked the lymph nodes were swollen. All of them. They weren't very big, however, 5 - 12 mm. I had noticed myself that the swollen nodes in my neck had decreased in size.

I didn't put two and two together. The lymph nodes were swollen because defective lymphcytes were accumulating in my body. The lymph nodes were less swollen for the past week. Therefore...the lymphocyte count had dropped. My lab results today showed a significant drop in lymphocytes, both absolutely and as a percentage of all the cells.

That led right to the discussion I wanted to have with her about Complementary and Alternative approaches to treating leukemia. I had prepared a chart listing techniques that I am considering or have already implemented, and asked her opinion. She was beyond supportive; she said she wished more of her patients would take that approach, that it could reduce the amount of medication required.

Although my intention was, and is, to formulate a coherent program, my efforts so far have been scattered. A little of this, a little of that, but nothing consistently, and in some of the areas that have the greatest potential for improvement I have not made much progress.

One thing I have done is eliminate mystery shopping, almost completely. I've accepted only twelve assignments in the last two months. Because of the lag in payment I haven't felt the reduction in income yet, but I will this month.

With the confirmation that my efforts have made a difference I have more incentive to be organized and disciplined about them. [edit: see entry Divine Intervention]

Anyway...if my condition is stable through three monthly visits we'll switch to follow-up every three months.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is such great news!! YAY!!!

And I love the look of the shelf!

gramyflys said...

I'm so happy to hear that things are moving in a positive direction for you. Your attitude is so uplifting and the fact that you are DOING something to help yourself with your own recovery is so admirable. My prayers are with you daily.
Lori