Friday, January 23, 2009

Going home, going home...

Barring major surprises, I will be discharged on Sunday or Monday, Jan. 25 or 26, 2009.

My home is ready and my ride arranged, thanks to wonderful friends.

This week I have made absolutely amazing progress. On Monday I looked and felt like the Firestone man, the result of fluid retention, as much as 50 pounds. I couldn't wiggle my ankles; getting in and out of bed was a major chore. I celebrated my accomplishments: I cut my lunch by myself. I brushed my hair.

By Wednesday I had started Physical Therapy, to regain my strength and stamina. Walking once around the nurses' station, with a walker, was a big deal. Also, a laptop had been delivered, courtesy of a local foundation, and I began to reconnect with the world.

Today I was discharged from PT; I still have homework to do, but no longer need supervision and instruction, just persistence. I've spent some time on my business, requested help for my concerns about returning home alone and worked with friends to make it happen.

I've controlled diabetes for twelve years without medication through lifestyle modification. The drugs that saved my life have changed that, temporarily. Today I filled and injected my insulin, all by myself! Even more important, I've done so well getting back to my regular routine that this morning I didn't need any.

It's Friday night, and there's nothing on my To Do list!

And that's a good thing. My red cells no longer die overnight, but they still don't stick around long enough. I'm waiting for a transfusion, a "top off" to carry me to my next chemo cycle, but it won't be available until tomorrow. I'm tired, and the mental focus that has carried me through the week is slipping. Well, has slipped.

So I'll sign off, and relax, and maybe do a little digi-scrapping. Or maybe just nap.

Thanks!

No comments: