Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Inpatient chemo packing list

I asked my friend who just beat leukemia what I might want at the hospital. Here's her reply:

Some things that were 'must haves' for me:

  • A sleep mask - I went to Target and got a silk eyeshade. The nurses were always running in to see my roommate and flipping the lights on. have
  • My MP3 player - Music drowns out the noise when you can't sleep at night and really helps distract you during nasty procedures like bone marrow biopsies. have
  • My laptop - my hospital is wireless and I could surf everywhere. have
  • snacks - hospital food is hospital food!
  • Bran cereal - chemo is very constipating. They give you stuff but a good bowl of bran flakes works wonders!
  • To keep your kidneys ok, plan on drinking like a camel who hasn't seen water for a few years. I packed my own mug and tea bags because my floor had a hot water tap.
  • Also pack whatever you like to mix into your water. I would drink gallons of H2O, both hot and cold.
  • Lotion - I like Bath and Bodyworks True Blue spa line. Chemo will dry your skin out terribly. I would lotion up each night. have
  • Biotene toothpaste - for dry mouth. Chemo dries you out and this really helped my teeth and gums survive in great shape. have
  • A pedicure - everyone was looking at my feet and legs to check for swelling so a fun pedicure and wacky slippers were very cheery!

Hope this list helps!

Sandy

Now, this doesn't mean that I've agreed to have chemo. I just thought I should be prepared. I plan to pack a bag, in case I am admitted with little notice.

My additions, after reading her list:
  • alkaline batteries, AAA - I doubt I would feel like swapping my rechargeable batteries in and out of the charger.
  • Add music to my mp3 player. Right now it's heavily weighted to Scriptures and relaxation.
  • Make sure I have my wireless card. I don't use it at home. Also my five-button mouse and charger. have
  • snack cups of applesauce and gelatin with fruit. Plastic spoons have.
  • Rubbermaid water bottle and/or insulated mug. have
  • baggies of trail mix (Cheerios, raisins and M&Ms.) I haven't found my sandwich bags since the remodel.
  • small canister of Gatorade have
  • herbal tea bags (red raspberry, orange spice, lemon) have

No comments: